Saturday 2 February 2008

Serendipity the Art of Chance

Following the qustion asked by Becky in the last post, I have included a piece which exemplifies flashing. It can be seen running from the top of the head down through the nose. I value chance events such as these as I feel they lend a reality to the work that can be missing when a piece is controlled. Life is rarely like that so why should art be different? I do not try to erase the 'past' of each piece - I like it to bear witness to all the steps of its creation.
What does 'visual perfection' mean? Does it mean polished and flawless and showing no sign of ever being touched by a human hand? Because as you have observed - these works are all about touch, about the sensual connection with the work as much as the visual.
I dont have all the answers but I wish to create objects that others can form a sensory connection with. Something which looks as if it has never been touched and shows no marks of its creation surely exudes a quality of Don't Touch! This is they last thing I wish my work to convey, it is to be looked at and caressed - understood by hand and eye and heart.

No comments: