Friday 22 February 2008

A Deeper Box


After the first prototype, two things became clear. This can work, but not in the way I was anticipating. To fit the crows into such a small box would take a folding mechanism in the form that I had originally imagined. While this is certainly possible, it will add to the complexity and ultimately price of the finished piece. This is an issue as one of primary objectives of the pocket divinity was to make it affordable and so I feel that I need a simpler solution. So a deeper box is required! There is a trade off here, between the depth of the box and the size of the crows and this is in turn is influenced by the limit to the size of a piece if it is to be portable.

What I haven't ascertained is the effect of scale on the crows - is bigger necessarily better? This would certainly be easier to make, but will they add or distract from the effect of the finished work? I do not have a definitive answer to this at this point in time - more experimental work is required.

No comments: